Monday 30 August 2010

Win with plug-in cars

Like most consumers, when I look to purchase a new gadget, I always ask: Is it worth the investment, can it stand up to my crazy schedule and lifestyle and will it actually improve my quality of life? Well, I've found something that is reliable, makes a positive impact on my life and will save me money - a plug-in electric car.
I've been driving a special plug-in hybrid Prius to work and all over the Bay Area. This Prius has an all-electric vehicle range of 13 miles and runs in normal hybrid mode beyond that. It's perfect because my commute to our San Jose headquarters is 13 miles, so I can go back and forth without using any gas. And though it's not a sports car, given its added battery weight, I've still been able to cruise across town averaging more than 70 miles per gallon, including some longer hauls to our office in Richmond. I charge it up fully at home in about three hours on a standard 110-volt outlet, and with my solar panels, it uses clean and economical power.
These cars will not only reduce our global warming pollution, they will also save owners thousands of dollars each year. Because the cost to charge an electric vehicle is comparable to 75 cents per gallon of gas, owners can save upwards of $2,000 each year or more, especially because gas prices are likely to climb. Also, federal tax credits ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 plus the state's $5,000 rebate on some cars really reduces the sticker price, making the cars considerably more affordable. Moreover, instead of continuing to pay high prices for oil and sending billions of dollars overseas to unfriendly countries, we can invest in our own economy and create jobs in leading-edge industries here at home.


No comments: